Tuesday, April 1, 2014

What I Learned from Windows 8.1 Install

Alright. i'll start with this. HOLY SH**. Like, really. This whole, grueling, painful, horrid, process took 4 hours to do. It all started with me and my friend gaming together, when he suggested i should upgrade from 7 to 8.1. I was like, okay, it's faster, and i know of this program to have a start button(by default there is no start menu in windows 8). and so i got a copy, and began the install. i said my goodbyes to windows 7, and planned to only do an upgrade so i could keep my stuff. but of course, that didn't happen. it had so many errors when i clicked, "upgrade" that i just said screw it. i wet back on windows 7, and put all my stuff on my main drive that i wanted to keep on my other drives(i have multiple drives that all have games on them so in reality i wasn't losing a lot) and did a clean install. 1st install. after doing the installation, windows "failed" to start. well fuck. so i did another install, and this time, when it restarted, it said there was no OS on the drive! what the hell! Then out of all this crap, i realized you need to disconnect all the other drives except the one you wanted to install windows on. and finally, IT WORKED! thank god. so i wen through setup fine, and i was in. but soon after, my SLI connector failed. NOW HOLD ON. it was quite old, so i wont blame windows this time.
So i am waiting to get a new one. after that, my sound card failed, although i think it was windows this time, but it was also old. whatever, i trashed it and went to integrated sound. (not quite as good but alright) and then my errors started to end. 


To conclude, if you don't know what you are doing, as a regular Joe, i would NOT recommend doing the install.
But lets look at the positives of windows 8.1:
  • Very snappy, like fast and responsive.
  • looks really slick.
  • compatible with almost everything like windows 7
  • Lower system requirements than windows 7, making it better for older systems to be updated.
  • Fast shutdown/Boot times.
Anyways, thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home